Be.Baking has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://bebaking.com and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Fruit Fulfilled



Peaches and Berries and Cherries, oh my! I feel happy and inspired while perusing through the ever-fantastic Ferry Plaza Farmer’s Market in San Francisco…the vendors’ baskets overflowing with ripe and ready fruits that are eternally satisfying just to look at, let alone eat.

For me, it’s impossible not to leap on such lush treasure…cheerfully anticipating my next bite into a perfect, juicy peach (while simultaneously regretting my decision to wear a white t-shirt).

The thing about many ridiculously delicious fruits like peaches, nectarines, berries, etc. is that they are at their peak for only a short time before they become a soggy mushy mess of unmet potential. But, have no fear…tis the season for fruit desserts!

I’ve been on a bit of a peach kick lately. Actually I’ve been on a peach kick my whole life. I even enjoy their fuzziness...something I have learned is an acquired taste. That said, you can imagine my enthusiasm yesterday when peaches, along with blueberries, were on my “To Bake” list.

I started my kitchen dance by making a Galette, which is basically an open-faced pie without the bother of a pie plate. It’s a lovely vehicle to show off sunny peaches and bright blueberries. And, it’s a super simple treat to make.



Another reason I love Galettes is that they make sense both as a dessert and as a special weekend breakfast (or mid-day snack) with a steaming cup of tea and the newspaper.



After filling the Galette up with fruit, I still had lots of peaches and blueberries in need of a home. Following my innate love for small things, I piled fruit into a couple of ramekins and topped them with pastry dough that I cut into little star shapes. They ended up looking quite cute…a perfect Fourth of July dessert.



After putting the patriotic pastries into the oven, I was still elbow deep in fruit (apparently 3 lbs of peaches and a pint of blueberries goes a long way). I added some toasted almond slices to the peach-blueberry filling for crunch and then filled a medium sized baking dish with the sweet mixture. I finished the ensemble by creating a quaint lattice top.



Into the oven my lattice topped fruit went, where it bubbled up and juiced out and turned golden brown.



Fruit desserts are divine with a nice big scoop of ice cream, which is not only delicious but also a safeguard for those of us who can’t wait to try a big bite, but don’t want a burnt tongue.

Blueberry and Peach Galette

1 2/3 cups AP Flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
8 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch dice
1/2 cup ice cold water (may not need all of it)

1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp corn starch
3 lbs peaches, sliced 1/2 inch think (~6 cups)
1 pint blueberries
juice from 1/2 a lemon

To make the dough, place the flour, salt and sugar into the bowl of a food processor and blend for 10 seconds. Add the cold butter and pulse until butter is cut into medium pieces (~5 seconds). Add cold water slowly and pulse until dough comes together in small, thick clumps (you may need to adjust the amount of water you use). Empty dough onto work surface and bring into a ball. Place in wax paper and then in the fridge to chill for at least 20 minutes.

To make the filling, in a large bowl whisk the sugar with the cornstarch. Gently toss in the peaches and blueberries, and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Let sit for 5 minutes, tossing occasionally.

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 12 inches around. Fold the dough in half then half again and place on a parchment lined baking sheet, unfold to make a round.

Pour the fruit and juices (scraping the bowl to make sure you get all the cornstarch) into the pastry and mound it, leaving a 6 inch opening of exposed fruit in the center of the crust. Brush water on the pastry and sprinkle with sugar. Bake on the lower rack of a preheated 375 degree oven for 35-45 minutes.

1 comment:

Georgia Peach said...

wow those look delicious and perfect for summer!! -Jodie